Cancel culture is arguably a product of boredom. It’s kind of funny that we have the audacity to end someone’s career by initiating a twitter thread. When I consider famous people who’ve been cancelled, one family comes to mind: The Kardashians. Everytime we think they can’t get any bigger, brighter, more influential…they surprise us yet again. Kim Kardashian was on Time Magazine’s Most Influential People list in 2015. The Kardashians are a supernova. All stars eventually burnout, but the Kardashian/Jenners keep shining.
Whether you love them or despise them doesn’t matter. They are famous for being famous, whatever that means. I can’t express the amount of times I’ve heard this sentence: “Ugh, I hate the Kardashians. I don’t follow any of them!” I subtly laugh because I know that we all support the Kardashians absentmindedly everyday. If you’ve bought a swimsuit or bra in the last 5 years, you have supported the Kardashians. Sure, you are directly paying Victoria’s Secret. Victoria’s Secret just designed your new swimsuit or bra to match Kylie’s summer 2020 Instagram looks. Do you work out in biker shorts? Kim did that first. Don’t even get me started with popular baby names. Gen Z children will all be named Autumn or Seaweed. I’m not complaining though!
If you’re still not convinced about the power of the Kardashian/Jenners, let me enlighten you. Here’s a brief list of the reasons why we are living in a Kardashian world…
- You’ve heard of high waisted jeans, but before Kim and the gang there was no high waisted lounge wear! High waisted bikini bottoms! High waisted underwear are just insane, but they’re undeniably trendy. Additionally, shapewear and waist cinchers.
- I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Kylie Jenner’s lips. The face that sent a thousand ships? More like the face that costs 6 figures to maintain. Without Kylie, lip filler would not be the sensation that it is. All hail Juvederm!
- Can’t afford filler or just squeamish around needles? Our girls have a solution for that: Facetune, Photoshop, and the up-angle selfie. Who knew we could technologically reconfigure our faces? Not gonna debate if photoshop is “ok” or not, that can be another article.
- THE NAILS. Unearthly long acrylic nails, no further explanation required.
- For a current example, we need to talk about the upside down bikini top! Kylie just started wearing her triangle swimsuit tops the wrong way. Now you can buy them (no need to wear the tops you already own incorrectly).
The Kardashians are undeniable trendsetters. If pop culture is a body, the Kardashians are the appendix. Virtually useless, but we don’t remove them until things go sideways. That being said, aren’t we all a little happier when we don’t need a life saving surgery? So, I guess the moral of my story is this: if the Kardashians aren’t causing you unbearable abdominal pain, just leave them alone. Don’t try to cancel them on social media, they won’t see it. Just be thankful that when your grandma asks about your swimsuit choice, you have someone to blame.